Monday, September 19, 2005

ACIDity and Qian Wang

I actually wanted to put up a philosophical post, but I have way too much going on right now to feel philosophical. I need to relax. R. E. L. A. X. I am sorely tempted to elicit some sympathy by listing out all the things I need to be getting done. I shall not. Why bug you poor souls also??

1. I have been spending the weekend poring over assorted books. For a database to be of any practical use it needs to have the ACID property over transactions performed on it.

Atomicity : A transaction is an atomic unit of processing. It is either performed entirely or not.
Consistency : A transaction is should be consistency preserving. It's complete execution should go from one consistent state to another.
Isolation : That is, the execution of a transaction should not be interfered with by any other transactions executing concurrently.
Durability : A commited transaction should not be lost. Durability is ensured through the use of transaction logs that facilitate the restoration of committed transactions in spite of any subsequent failures.

Boring no. Now do this - replace
transaction with relationship. Big word. I feel very uncomfortable using it. Anyway, he he he. Now read it again. The perfect manual. Short. Succint. Simple. Can be (and should be) taught to every 6th standard kid. The final result - 80% reduction in teenage, middle age and old age angst, 70% reduction in quarter-life and mid-life crises - worldwide. The world IS a happier more beautiful place. It can be called Ramani's ACID Rule. You can put things to the ACID test. Since it's my rule, the RA(N)CID test. Hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth.

2. Have you noticed Chinese names. They are short. Chen. Liu. Wang. I think it's a very bad design idea. Try mistyping Subramaniam Anantharamakrishnan. What are the chances that you are going to create another valid name? akjaklsdj lkjasdklfjklasdjf. Now mistype Wang - Yang, Lang, Qang - all very plausible names. See, this creates huge problems.

Assuming you want to name your kid, and you tell the guy in the registrar office, your kids name, he mistypes, and instead of Qian Wang you have Qian Yang. It's a valid name. So, later you notice - oops mistake - and you cannot even tell the guy to change it. He will be like - "What, this name valid is. What you say. You me cheat". That was a lame imitation. Apologies.

I was thinking, there would be about 10,000 possible names with 5 letters. In a population of 1.5 billion, about 150000 people will share the same name. Assuming some names are more popular (which mean money, or wisdom or useful things like that), there is potential for almost a million people to share the same name. Do you know what that means?? It's horrendous searching for a guy on the net. It's time for them to increase the address space. They should be a convention where they decide to give everyone longer names. Consciously.

Note : No Chinese were offended in the creation of this joke. I quite like them actually. IF I could pronounce those names. You could learn to here.
Explanatory notes :D :D :
2) Try mistyping Subramaniam Anantharamakrishnan. What are the chances that you are going to create another valid name?
What I am saying is that if the name is long there is not a much of a chance for a mistype to lead you to another real person. But with short names, not so much. I can make a more 'profound' explanation, but it would scare everyone away. God knows why I am writing such geeky stuff. Maybe the semester has started and there is more geeky stuff occupying mindspace.
It's time for them to increase the address space. They should be a convention where they decide to give everyone longer names.
This is a terrible one. It's a take on the IPv6 convention when the internet was running out of doman addresses. So, they lengthened the length of each address so that there was enough for everyone. :D

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow spammers have become really sophisticated.

Btw how did you plug in the numbers, You claim that out of 26^5 combinations only 10000 are valid.

and as far as relationships, you should listen to aakash (aamir in dil chahta hain) sometime - a quote woh doh hafte bhi zyada the ->( those 2 weeks were long enuf ) you seem to be fixated on these relationships should last forever stuff

Artful Badger said...

Numbers..general..you should get the picture..
Heh...I just generally found it very funny...it isn't some attempt to implore the world to follow deeper order..

Anonymous said...

Do relationships also have redo logs (rather undo logs , remember ARIES) like transactions in databases?

Anonymous said...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please change the font .. its pretty difficult to read with the current setup.. Please please...

Vc

Artful Badger said...

[nenjyo] redo logs or undo logs. it might have redo logs. undo log design is underway. there are a lot of problems the system has. mostly consistency . memory consistency. ;) I am sure no one got the joke. or maybe not.
[vc] thanks. i hadn't really noticed it. this should be better.

Anonymous said...

I too have a zillion things to do, but won't bore you......you should just get the picture as to why I am reading your blog and commenting on it right now!!! COZ I HAVE A ZILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO!!! *PULLING MY HIR OUT* :(
And then, just realized that I HAVE to comment on this coz I didn't understand anything, is that because I am too dumb or then maybe you are as intelligent as I have heard you are!!! ;) Deep, geeky, complicated, profound, and esoteric is the way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

it didnt leave a bad taste. I mean the joke.

Artful Badger said...

[madhura]heh..semester has started..can't wait for the thanksgiving break..dreaming about it :D...
hmm..well it's highly geeky...the first one is some consistency in databases extended to relationships..the second was ok right..just cracking some comlex joke..just making fun of short chinese names..and how loads of the names are so similar..
[nenjyo] heh..atleast someone got it. a fellow geek.

Prashanth said...

The acid test for relationships
- By Ramani, Aditya S.

Experimental observations: none
Conclusions: hazaar

;) try publishing it in International Journal of Human Relations

Prashanth said...

(following a conv from smugbug's blog)

Given that the diversity of my cooking is next to nil, being limited to a single type each of poriyal and sambhar, and of course (!) curd rice, what does it say about the suitability of me to my environment or vice versa? :)

Artful Badger said...

[prashanth1] it doesnt to insert a little bit of science into these things...seriously..don't you wish...
'experimental' observations : err..well..umm..not too many 'experiments'..but loads of observations..he he
[prashanth2] hmm..you are going to be single for the rest of your life???..dont worry you will start eating out soon..all the time!!!

Artful Badger said...

draft is underway..and under review...we are soon drilling it into every man, woman and most importantly child in this side of the univerise..
25 years later...New York Times...
" Aditya Ramani, one of the most well known researchers on human nature has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Average life satisfaction has gone up over 50% since the induction of the RANCID rule, most people are happy with their lives, and not many feel the need for conflict. In a moment of deep inner bliss, the President of the United States decided to awards 10% of his country's GDP to the poor. The oil countries decided to give their oil out for free. However, not many people want to pollute the environment, so there have not been many takers. What joy! We must worship this man. His profundity. Hail Ramani the King of Peace"

Anonymous said...

ahan, so this is what you RE-search ..

spice up your trite-threadbare-hackneyed assignments; with liberal infusion of chimerical illusions; dare-dreaming to the extent of serendipitous discovery by substituting sociology to technology; and then calling it, Science into Social Behaviour with experimental observations....

... and further taking it to next level; an incidental Nobel prize for accidental reserach....

and wait a minute... whats it called...
hmmmmm melodorous foul-smelling Rancid Rule ???

*Intern
Now if I didnt make any sense: Thats the point!!!

Anonymous said...

i hated it when i got it!

Artful Badger said...

[intern] little does it hurt to dream. especially if reality sucks. :D...it's not RE-search it's RA-search..again..a RAmani search..
[nenjyo] coming up with a joke like that - IMAGINE how that feels.

Anonymous said...

Ramani,
I'm all for Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream

Just that the word "rancid" means:
"offensive smell or taste";
so I was pulling your legs ... on "Rancid Test" ...

I'm happy you could make sense of my excessively foolish pitter-patter blabber, but *sigh*, you didnt get the punch line ...

... and yes, I agree with you on DREAM; little does it hurt to dream ...

.. and my eternally perpetual sing-song self, is humming a beautiful tune; "All I Have To Do Is Dream" by Everly Brothers ...

WARNING: A highly romantic and should be taken just as a song:

Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream

When I feel blue in the night
And I need you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam

I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day

Intern

Prashanth said...

"..Sing for the laughter,
Sing for the tear;
Sing with me,
If it's just for today;
Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away.

Dream on, Dream on,
Dream until your dream comes true.
Dream on, Dream on,
Dream your dream come true!"

- Aerosmith

Anonymous said...

WOW Aerosmith Rocks....

Ramani,
Now that we are at Dream lyrics; lemme add another one...
*Intern

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I’ll cross the stream - I have a dream
I’ll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything

Anonymous said...

eh ? Lyrics songs poems ?
I thought Ramani was making jokes.. :)

\\//c

Artful Badger said...

[intern] Duh!! Why do you think I called it the Rancid test. The basic idea is a lot of romance like things ultimately leave a bad taste in the mouth and hence you need a Rancid test so that they dont!!
Heh..yeah..when you don't have it..dream about it..you have it..atlest in spirit !!
[SP] That was a nice song. Whose is it?
[Vc] Good question. He he :D. The conversation moved to me fantasing about having a life, and hence all the sing song action.

Anonymous said...

AWwwwwwwwwwww

... and I thought you were just playing with your name....

DUH me!!! really!!!

*I